Senior Pastor, First Presbyterian Church of Hamilton Square
400-member church in suburban central NJ seeks a Senior Pastor with a clear vision of how the church can live out Christ in today’s world. Our mission study shows we are
transitioning from an attractional to a missional focus. Our Session, church family, and staff seek your advocacy and leadership to help us develop our missional vision in
church and community, leading us through transformation as a collaborator and team-builder, and managing the pace, focus, and scope of this exciting change.
CLC #04923.AE0, Applicants with 5+ years in ordained ministry may anticipate $85,000 effective compensation with 4 weeks of vacation, 2 weeks of study leave, and appropriate reimbursable expenses.
First Presbyterian Church of Hamilton Square
Senior Pastor Position Description
Title: Senior Pastor
Purpose: The Senior Pastor has a clear vision of how the church can live out Christ in today’s world and is the strongest advocate of our missional vision in church and community, leading us through transformation as a collaborator and team-builder, managing the pace, focus, and scope of change. Exhibiting empathy for the needs of the church family and local communities through active listening, involvement, and pastoral care, the Senior Pastor communicates our vision clearly, develops networks, and builds relationships, demonstrating flexibility in the leading of the Spirit and being open to ways in which God’s work can be accomplished.
Accountability: The Senior Pastor is accountable to the Session through its Personnel Committee, and to the Presbytery through its Committee on Ministry.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Shine new light on Scripture in the context of today’s issues and provide truth applicable to the reality of daily life. Preach Biblically, approachably, and topically to a family ranging from the unchurched to the mature in faith.
- Lead varying styles of worship, supported by assistants and music teams.
- Formulate new methods and strategies to engage the next generation of worshippers, using the sanctuary, other rooms, outdoors, informal gatherings, and online.
- Engage and develop relationships with local leaders to identify opportunities where FPCHS may partner or serve as a resource for our neighbors.
- Inspire, motivate, and equip the church family to act as the face of Christ to the community.
- Support and maintain the church family’s links with other Hamilton churches, Presbytery, and Camp Johnsonburg.
- Facilitate pastoral care for the church family, encouraging participation in worship, education and ministry.
- Develop plans and means to improve written and electronic communication to all generations within FPCHS and the community at large. Foster excellent communication among Session, Deacons, staff, congregation, and community.
- Guide leaders in evaluating the PCUSA Matthew 25 initiative.
- Oversee pastoral, administrative, and music staff, and supervise seminary interns.
Relationships: The Senior Pastor relates to the Session as Moderator, to Session Commissions as an ex-officio member, to the staff as a colleague and head of staff, to the congregation as a pastor, and to the Presbytery as a member.
Evaluation: The Session Personnel Committee will conduct an annual performance review and compensation review.